Stamp duty is a real burden on those who are struggling to buy their first home or who need to move because of their work or because their family has outgrown today's home. By their slow and miserly approach Blair and Brown have made it yet another stealth tax on hard working people and families.
Today the Conservatives announced their commitment to lighten this burden, in line with our central value: if you do the right thing, we will do right by you.
- A Conservative Government will raise the threshold for stamp duty to £250,000
- Over 80% of home purchases will attract no stamp duty at all
- The average homebuyer will pay no stamp duty at all
- In England and Wales, the average homebuyer will save £1,800
- Averag homes in every region in Scotland will be free of stamp duty
The Conservatives have also announced help for existing homeowners. We will scrap Labour's planned stealth tax - the revaluation of homes in England. An estimated 7 million homes will be saved from being pushed by Labour into a higher tax band.
The choice is clear: more waste and higher taxes under Mr Blair and the Liberal Democrats , or value for money and lower taxes with the Conservatives.