On September 8th 1906, Newtown Villagers held a tea party to celebrate the opening of their village hall, and the Newbury Temperance Band played in the background.
A hundred years later, with the Village Hall virtually unaltered, the villagers celebrated the centenary in the same way.
Sir Alexander Arbuthnot was the benefactor, and a descendant of the man who built the hall, John Head, was invited to the proceedings. The names of the villagers who were present 100 years ago are on a board in the hall, and the names of their successors will go alongside them.
"Doug Ellis, Sarah Beecroft and the Village Hall Committee put on some first class entertainment and provided an excellent tea. The Village Hall holds the village together, and is still the location where all important events take place. In an age of globalisation, people still value their village hall."