St Martins Church East Woodhay put on a series of events to celebrate the Centenary of St Martins Guild.
St Martins Guild was founded in 1908 by the then Rector's wife, Lilian Chilton-Tompkins. Its mission was to "work for the beautifying and improvement of St Martins Church"
An Annual Fete became an established tradition. and funds raised have supported church-bnased projects, as well as local organisations such as nearby St Martins Primary School, East Woodhay Village Hall, the East Woodhay Band and local sports organisations and uniformed groups.
The week-end's celebrations began with a hog-roast on May 24th at Church Farm, attended by a third of the village, with an auction that raised £4,000. On May 25th there was a Family Bicycle Treasure Trail and, at 6pm, Centenary Evensong with the Bishop of Basingstoke as preacher. The collection was in aid of the Burma Cyclone Appeal. After Evensong, a Guild Centenary Book was signed by all the congregation, including the Mayor of Basingstoke and Deane, the Bishop, the Rector and the local MP.
On May 26th from 2 to 4.30 the Guild Centenary Fete was held.
"They have yet to finalise the figures, but they have covered the costs for the hog roast - an event aimed at bringing the community together - and they made over £5,000 at the fete, which despite the appalling weather was attended by about 400 people."