Sir George has backed efforts to beat cancer at a major Cancer Research UK event in Parliament.
During the reception, Sir Georgediscussed the importance of keeping cancer high on the political agenda.
MPs heard about Cancer Research UK’s new Commit To Beat Cancer campaign, which calls on the next Government to make the UK’s cancer outcomes among the best in Europe in the next ten years.
“One in three people can expect a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime. Outcomes for people with cancer are improving but they could be better. I’m proud of the world-class charitable medical research we undertake in the UK but more still needs to be done to prevent, detect and treat cancer.”
“I support Cancer Research UK’s campaign to make the UK’s cancer outcomes among the best in Europe. This would have a significant, positive impact on the people of North West Hants and I will continue to support measures that will help us to reach this goal.”
Aisling Burnand, Executive Director of Policy and Public Affairs at Cancer Research UK said: “We are very grateful to Sir George for supporting our campaign and we are delighted that over 400 prospective parliamentary candidates have signed our Cancer Commitment so far.”
“It is crucial that MPs continue to support measures to improve the UK’s cancer outcomes. Ten-year survival rates have doubled over the last thirty years and our work has been at the heart of that progress. Our five year survival rates, however, still lag behind the best performing countries in Europe (such as Sweden, Norway and Finland).”
“There are challenges ahead, and it is vital that action is taken to detect cancer earlier, provide world class treatment, prevent more cancers, tackle cancer inequalities and protect the UK’s research base. We must maintain momentum and the Commit To Beat Cancer campaign reflects our supporters’ desire to keep up the political pressure.”
For further information, please contact:
Laura McCann, Cancer Research UK Public Affairs Officer, on 020 7061 8499 firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors:
Cancer Research UK is calling on politicians to join us in helping to make the UK’s cancer outcomes among the best in Europe in the next 10 years.
We want to see concerted action from Government in the following five areas:
• Detecting cancer earlier
• Providing world class treatment
• Preventing more cancers
• Tackling cancer inequalities
• Protecting the UK’s research base
We’re asking our supporters to email the parliamentary candidates in their local area asking them to sign our Cancer Commitment.
For more information please visit the Cancer Campaigns website: www.CommitToBeatCancer.org
• Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to beat cancer.
• Cancer Research UK carries out world-class research to improve understanding of the disease and find out how to prevent, diagnose and treat different kinds of cancer.
• Cancer Research UK ensures that its findings are used to improve the lives of all cancer patients.
• Cancer Research UK helps people to understand cancer, the progress that is being made and the choices each person can make.
• Cancer Research UK works in partnership with others to achieve the greatest impact in the global fight against cancer.
For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 08701 602040 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org