Weyhill Fair revived
10 Sep 2000

Click for a full size picture
The Boys Brigade Band play at Weyhill Church Fair, opened by Sir George

Weyhill Fair’s well known site burst into life again on Sunday when people flocked to the first village fair since the 1920s.
The fairground site, mentioned in Hardy’s Mayor of Casterbridge, has been beautifully restored in a scheme which also provided the area with a new village hall.
However, the present-day organisers will not be able to copy the hiring of a menagerie which included ‘one very fine lion, a horse 20 hands high, an enormous fat pig and other objects of interest’ which enthralled visitors to the Weyhill Fair in October 1867.
The following year, in 1868, the Andover Advertiser reported that stallholders at the Weyhlll Fair were selling gingerbread nuts in abundance and all kinds of sweets and eatables.
In 1888 there were “fat women and black pugilists and purse men who did a roaring trade, fleecing agricultural labourers and the gentry alike, selling empty purses. (Acknowledgement to Ann Shaw of the Andover Advertiser and Hazel Bulpitt from Weyhill for this information.)

Previous news: A fresh start for Thruxton Village Hall Index Next news: Whitchurch Tories riverside lunch
Next news: Whitchurch Tories riverside lunch

Copyright Sir George Young Bt. 2015