Sir George has joined the fight against breast cancer by taking part in Breast Cancer Campaign’s biggest (and pinkest) fundraiser, Wear it Pink day.
Over the last 10 years Wear it Pink has raised a staggering £23 million and on Friday 25 October 2013 people will come together in schools, colleges and businesses throughout the country to raise vital funds for Breast Cancer Campaign’s lifesaving research.
“Every year in the UK around 50,000 women and around 400 men are diagnosed with breast cancer. Sadly 12,000 women and 80 men die from this disease. This is why we need to support Breast Cancer Campaign’s fundraising efforts so they can continue to fund research which will one day lead to a cure. So join me, wear something pink and donate £2, it’s really as simple as that.”
Breast Cancer Campaign vitally needs the money raised from wear it pink for its researchers to have the best possible chance to find the cure.
To register for wear it pink and receive your fundraising pack visit www.wearitpink.org or call 0800 107 3104.
Notes to editors
• Breast cancer is the most common cancer in the UK and accounts for nearly one in three of all cancers in women
• Breast Cancer Campaign aims to beat breast cancer by funding innovative world-class research to understand how breast cancer develops, leading to improved diagnosis, treatment, prevention and cure
• As of September 2013, the charity currently funds 105 projects worth £18.2 million in over 30 locations across the UK and Ireland
• In the UK, around 50,000 new cases of breast cancer are diagnosed each year - that’s around 135 a day. Visit breastcancercampaign.org or follow us at twitter.com/bccampaign
• This year Primark is supporting the fight against breast cancer and will donate 20% of the full product price for every wear it pink item sold in store.
• The Breast Cancer Campaign Tissue Bank, the UK’s first ever national breast cancer tissue bank is a unique collaboration with four leading research institutions to create a vital resource of breast cancer tissue for researchers across the UK and Ireland. Visit breastcancertissuebank.org
Andrea Shufflebotham, Media Manager
0207 749 4102