Sir George dropped in to get an update from Cancer Research UK at the Party Conference. He visited the CRUK stand to get their latest local cancer statistics and heard how a new website can help support vital efforts to diagnose cancer earlier in North west Hampshire
As a result of research, UK cancer survival rates have more than doubled in the past forty years. Research has resulted in greater prevention, earlier diagnosis and kinder, more effective treatments. But Sir George expressed his support for Cancer Research UK’s “Research Kills Campaign” after hearing how much there is still to do to make survival rates as good as the best in Europe.
"I saw how the new website cruk.org/localstats enables me to compare my local statistics with other local areas and to see how NW Hants fares compared with UK averages."
“It was a pleasure to meet Cancer Research UK and discuss the world-leading research their scientists are doing to beat cancer. It’s really useful to see the latest statistics for [constituency] – this will help me to continue to ask questions of local NHS and public health services, including how they’re working together to help support early diagnosis, which is crucial for beating cancer”.
“I also was delighted to hear that the radiotherapy innovation fund has enabled thousands more people across the country to access vital radiotherapy services. We must continue to do what we can at national and local level to help people with cancer access better, kinder treatments”.
For media enquiries, please contact: [Insert MP office details]
Notes to Editor:
About Cancer Research UK
• Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research
• The charity’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
• Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated.
• Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years.
• Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
• Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
• Local Cancer Statistics can be viewed on www.cruk.org/localstats
For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 0300 123 1022 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook