Sir George supported the British Heart Foundation (BHF) on Feb 5th when the BHF revealed their first ever pop-up shop in the Palace of Westminster.
He met shop staff and volunteers to hear how BHF shops raise vital funds for life-saving research. During the visit, Sir George added his voice to the call for people to Ramp up the Red this February.
On the 7 February, the BHF are urging the public to Ramp up the Red by wearing something red, hosting a red-themed party, or baking some red-coloured treats. After their trip to the pop-up shop, Sir George joined in
“I was delighted to help raise awareness of heart disease by taking part in Ramp up the Red. I hope the public join me on the 7th February and help to beat a devastating disease which can affect anyone, from babies to grandparents.
“By popping up in Parliament, the BHF has reminded us of the vital role their shops play in raising funds for life-saving research.”
Coronary heart disease is the UK’s single biggest killer, responsible for almost 74,000 deaths in the UK each year, an average of 200 people each day. There are currently 2.3 million people in the UK living with coronary heart disease.
Mike Taylor, Retail Director at the BHF, said “We wanted to show MPs just how important our shops are – without our shop staff, including 23,000 volunteers across the UK, we simply couldn’t continue our life-saving work.
“It is fantastic to see [insert name] showing their support and ramping up the red. All the money raised on 7 February will help us truly fight for every heartbeat.”
For more information about Ramp up the Red or to donate please visit bhf.org.uk/red
For more information, an interview or images please contact [insert your contact details]
Notes to editors
• All BHF health statistics are based on the latest health surveys and mortality data from the UK’s national statistical agencies
• Case studies are available for interview. Including men, women and children from all ages and with varying heart conditions
• For more information about Ramp up the Red or to donate please visit bhf.org.uk/red
• Coronary heart disease is the UK’s single biggest killer. For over 50 years we’ve pioneered research that’s transformed the lives of people living with heart and circulatory conditions. Our work has been central to the discoveries of vital treatments that are changing the fight against heart disease. But so many people still need our help. From babies born with life-threatening heart problems to the many Mums, Dads and Grandparents who survive a heart attack and endure the daily battles of heart failure. Join our fight for every heartbeat in the UK. Every pound raised, minute of your time and donation to our shops will help make a difference to people’s lives
• For more information on the BHF, visit bhf.org.uk