Holy Trinity church in Penton needs a new roof, and villagers were invited to sponsor a tile at £5 a time.
Christopher Peacocke, one of the church wardens spent saturday morning in the church while villagers came along to buy their tile. One of his first customers was Aurelia Young, who lives next door to the church. Aurelia bought two tiles in the memory of Heather and Hanbury Brown, who lived in the village and are buried in the churchyard. "The church in Penton is a lively one, and in addition to a new roof, it is getting a WC."
A church was mentioned here in Domesday, but the present building dates from about 1365 and little has been added since.
Unusual churchyard monuments include thirteen war graves, remembering airman killed in some of the earliest flying accidents and the granite obelisk to William Cubitt, a founder in the nineteenth century of the famous civil engineering firm of that name. In the same churchyard, a fight between two villagers in 1556 resulted in one being punished with an order to have his ears cut off, only saved next year by a Royal pardon.