|Handover Ceremony at Firsway, Whitchurch
5 Oct 2001
Sir George congratulates Kingfisher Housing Association and Lovells on the development at Firsway - see below for details.
To the left of the picture is Chris Holland, Vice-Chairman of Kingfisher Housing Association. Then from left to right after Sir George, Richard Coles, Regional Director of Lovells, Cllr Rose Wellman (Mayor of Basingstoke and Deane) and Cllr N Tayler (Town Mayor of Whitchurch)
"This is just the sort of scheme everyone is in favour of; redeveloping a brownfield site; getting higher densities without sacrificing quality; and providing modern housing of a high standard. Congratulations to all involved."
Information about Firsway
· The original site consisted of 10 houses and 8 bungalows constructed in the post-war years from aluminium melted down from Spitfires used in the Second World War
· Redevelopment officially commenced on 30 April 1999 with the burial of a Time Capsule
· The total scheme cost for the development of 50 modern energy efficient homes is £3.3million
· Social Housing Grant of £863,000 was provided by Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council for provision of an extra 31 homes for rent
· A First Phase Completion Ceremony took place on Friday 28 July 2001 when two commemorative rose bushes were planted in Firsway
· 6 Owner occupiers joined the scheme enabling the full redevelopment of Firsway
· All properties are built to Lifetime Homes Standards and feature wider access to doors, straight staircases for future stair lifts and raised power points ensuring homes can be easily adapted to meet people’s needs
A typical rent for a 3 bedroom house is £82.84 a week