Weyhill's ancient walls restored by Ibthorpe firm
30 Jul 2000
The Weyhill Fair is first recorded as taking place in 1225, and continued to be held until the 1920's. The stalls and booths at the fairground were originally constructed of chalk cob walls, with thatched roofs. The walls, shown here, are being restored, using traditional techniques, as part of a major redevelopment of the site.

Ashfield Land Limited of Bristol, in conjunction with Lyons Sleeman Hoare, Architects of Hartley Wintney, have agreed with Hampshire County Council and Test Valley Borough Council on the development of the Weyhill Fairground to provide housing and light industrial units for domestic and commercial use.

As Part 1 of this development, Osmer Building Limited of Ibthorpe are carrying out a major restoration of the existing dilapidated Fairground booths and stalls to their former glory and constructing a Community Centre for the use of new and existing residents of the area.

Using traditional techniques, with skilled tradesmen, the restoration works will occupy some six months of concentrated effort and will result in a rare opportunity to re-visit a bye-gone age of craftsmanship. The work includes the rebuilding and restoration of chalk cob walling, traditional carpentry and slate roofing.
 
Back to index. Index Back to index.
Back to index.

Copyright Sir George Young Bt. 2015